Click here to sign the NO2ID refuse pledge

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Transsexual Fights For Women’s Prison

Rainbownetwork.com

A transsexual who had a sex-change operation 22 years ago is fighting for the right to go to a women's prison.

Denise Martin could be sent to prison after refusing to pay a fine over a breach of the peace offence and might be sent to the all-male top-security Maghaberry jail outside Belfast, according to the Guardian.

“It's a matter of principle,” she told the paper.

“At my first hearing in Larne last month the court referred to me as ‘Mr Martin’ or ‘he’, because on my birth certificate I'm still Douglas Martin. But as you can see by looking at me, I haven't been Douglas for over 20 years.

“On my British passport it states that I'm Denise, and that's who I have been for all these years. But if the next court appearance in Ballymena treats me like a man, then I'm in danger of going to an all-male prison.

“I have instructed my solicitor to fight this all the way to the European Court of Human Rights. I didn't go through years of psychiatric counselling, a painful operation and the entire trauma through my life to let the courts deny who I am today.

“I don't care if they fine me £30 or £3,000, I won't pay and I won't rest until they recognise me as Denise.”

Martin said that she was also fighting her case for her partner, as the pair want to get married next year.

“The law, or at least the courts, still sees me as a man and I don't want my partner being branded as someone who has married a man,” she told the Guardian.

“He met me as a fully functioning woman, not as Douglas but as Denise. This fight is as important for him as it is for me.”

3 Comments:

Blogger wind walker said...

i hope she gets recognized for being a woman...

if you're a brunette but feel like a blond, no one questions it...

if you are flat chested but feel like you should be bigger, society applauds it...

if you are heavy but feel you should be thinner, society recommends it...

why can't your insides match you on the outside for any reason??

8:40 pm  
Blogger rachel said...

A question I have asked myself many times wind walker. Many times...
Welcome to my little corner of the web by the way. I hope you find the site intresting and informative. Your very welcome here :)

7:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you well Denise from an old friend Frank, good luck

6:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home