Click here to sign the NO2ID refuse pledge

Sunday, November 20, 2005

Transsexual: I was humiliated and forced to strip

The Star
BY NG SI HOOI

KUALA LUMPUR: A transsexual has alleged that she was humiliated and forced to strip naked before three policemen after she was detained for suspected vice.

Mumtaz, who was born Abdul Malik Theen Mohamad, claimed that the incident occurred at the Ipoh central police station on Oct 16.

The 24-year-old cook, who underwent two sex-change operations in Thailand, said she had to strip in front of three policemen although she told them she was now a woman.

“I asked for a policewoman to examine me but they refused, saying my MyKad stated that I am a male,” she told a press conference held by Seputeh MP Teresa Kok.

Mumtaz was accompanied by her husband A. Ravichandran, 28, and six transsexual friends.

She was arrested during a raid at the Luck Inn Hotel in Ipoh at about 3.30pm that day.

Mumtaz was in Ipoh with Ravichandran to look up a friend and they were staying at the hotel. During the raid, she was alone in the room as Ravichandran had gone out.

“The police accused me of being involved in vice when they found two condom wrappers in the room,” she said.

Mumtaz, who said she had a traditional wedding ceremony with Ravichandran in India in July, claimed that the police humiliated her by making remarks about her body and even joked about buying four-digit lottery.

“When I related my experience to another policeman who recorded my statement, he told me not to cause trouble,” she said, adding that she was remanded for four days in a lock-up for women.

Mumtaz said she sent a complaint letter to the Police Disciplinary Unit on Nov 7 and lodged a report at the Brickfields police station yesterday.

“I hope the Government will take action against the policemen as they have humiliated me. I also appeal to the Government to allow me and others like me to change our gender in MyKad.

“We face difficulty in getting jobs as we are identified as males in our MyKad,” she said.

Meanwhile, Kok urged the Government to allow transsexuals to change their gender in MyKad so that similar incidents would not recur.

Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Mohd Dzuraidi Ibrahim confirmed that a police report had been lodged and the case would be referred to the Ipoh police.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home